Do you have these fire hazards in your home?

home insurance aig

The Fire and Rescue Department (FRD) of Malaysia reported that fire destroys an average of 6,000 premises every year. Unfortunately, 120 to 150 people perish in these fires annually.

Fires are the reason why fire safety awareness and fire drills are essential. It’s important for everyone to have basic fire safety knowledge to protect yourself, and home insurance to protect your house.

A part of fire safety knowledge is to identify fire hazards in your home. Here are some dangers you need to look out for to prevent household fires:

Disorganised home and clutter

It’s crucial to keep your home clean and neat, especially in the kitchen. Keep your house and especially your kitchen organised by not misplacing flammable items such as newspaper or magazines near any source of a fire.

Not only is an organised home hygienic and pleasing for the eyes, but it also lowers the chances of a fire. In the event of a fire, a tidy house also leaves fewer obstructions for an exit.

home insurance aig

Unattended stove and lighted candles

You may think that keeping your eyes off a lighted stove for a few minutes is fine; then you can’t be more wrong.

Your overconfidence may lead to forgetfulness, which may lead to a potential fire. Never leave a stove or a burning candle unattended even for a while; turn the stove off or blow out the candles if you have to leave.

Dusty electronic devices

It may seem like a chore, but it’s important to keep your devices clean and dust-free. That’s because your devices may overheat if the vents are covered with dust, which may lead to combustion as heat is not released properly.

home insurance aig

Worn out cables and overloaded extension cords

Most of us start to panic when our smartphones reach low battery, and sometimes we would do everything to recharge our devices. For example, adding extra adaptors to extension cords. This decision is unwise as it can cause a power overload and lead to a potential fire hazard.

Using worn out electrical cables are also dangerous; there’s a reason why they are covered with rubber. Leaving heated copper wires exposed might lead to fires if they get in contact with flammable materials such as cloth or paper.

Conclusion

Fire can spread in minutes if you’re careless or ignorant. Don’t take risks and practice fire safety skills. Install smoke detectors to notify everyone in the event of a fire.

Protect your belongings and assets by purchasing home insurance. Visit https://www.aig.my/personal/home-insurance/standard-home-insurance now.